Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Fire And Storm

I entered the fire and could have quit-
Could have turned, and walked away,
Weeping each step for passed pain.
I chose, instead, to stay.
I stayed, and the flames went high
Far taller than little me.
So high and so bright, all around,
That soon I could not see.

I knew nothing but heat and
Pain, too soon to ring me round.
But stationary I was not.
I yet moved on blackened ground.
Recalled I much triumph,
Much joy as I had pushed through
Struggles of storm and tempest.
For in the past I'd chosen to.

But burning in this trial,
Different than nature's ire,
I beheld the choices
Of both honest man and liar.
Each I saw inside me,
The lie that I loathed life,
The lie that each fault was mine-
That I had caused all strife

The lie that I was worth naught,
The lie that I could not do
Anything and everything
I wanted and was meant to.
But honesty, too, spoke
And said that I'd endured,
While things both dark and evil,
Inside and out, had stirred.

That I had tried, and tried again,
That I was yet still trying,
While my heart and even soul
Could not cease their crying.
Between both ends I found myself
And, puzzled at my state,
Wondered how I ever functioned
With so much on my plate.

Wisdom's dawn approaching,
I find my central door.
I open it, and view within:
The things I laid in store.
Many are good and helpful
A few even divine.
But many, from the darkness,
I also could claim as mine.

Seeing I want them not,
Knowing I'm worth more,
I gather up the darkness.
I toss it out my door.
A particle of wisdom, then,
Into my mind did come
The fire and storm, together,
Enable me to reach my sum.

No comments:

Post a Comment