Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Today

There's war.
There's kindness.
There's love.
There's hate.

Today I write of all of these,
Hoping that for you, Reader,
It is neither far too early,
Nor everlastingly too late.

I warred so much,
Naught else I knew.
I desired to be in pieces.
I wished that life were through.
I wished mortal, or immortal hand
To take me out of the game.
The mortal hand was mine,
The immortal had a Holy Name.

Immortal would not,
Mortal was not allowed.
I dared not take
What Heaven hallowed.
But desperation grew
Stronger day and night.
Till one desire I knew.
I wished an end to life.

Tis years now.
Mere weeks since I've found
I wish for life,
Here, on mortal ground.
We smile, you and I.
We laugh and say we're fine.
How oft, on lies and poetry,
We sit, and quaff our wine.

Did heartbroken friend,
Torn to shreds inside,
Tell you she was "good,"
When soon you learned she lied?
Did some battered stranger
Fall across your path?
Were you inclined to kindness,
Or to vengeful wrath?

I look around me.
You.  Me.  They.
I stay.  I help.  I try.
Today.

Adam Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment