Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sanctuary

Wreck I leave behind me.
Pain, so wretched, past.
Cushioned rock all round.
I, alone at last.
As I sit so cold,
Ghost upon the floor,
Locked from the outside,
My chilled, metal cell door.
No one here to share it-
This peace hard-fought and won.
All my defenses built
Now each fled and gone.
Peace and safety sought
From harshest mental pain,
While the sun of my lifespan
Begins, at last, to wane.
Knowing nothing soothing
Up to this chilled hour,
I know now again
Silence, and its power.
Angels all around me
All my life had stood.
Now I feel no person
Though if I wished, I could.
This poor ravaged mind,
Suffering so sore,
Brings me to this point
Where I wish life no more.
But the thoughts all hammering
My embattled mind...
I have been unraveled.
Gone: every mental line.
Thinking was a torture.
Now I do not think.
Into a mental void
I will fully sink.
This Time, however lengthy
I hope it will be,
I want to last forever.
My own blessed
My own needed
My required
Sanctuary.

Adam Scott Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment