Friday, April 15, 2016

Garden Of The Heart

I had unending happiness.
It slipped out of my hand.
I wanted to hold tighter,
But without strength to stand,
There was naught to grip
Eternities my hand spanned.
I felt that I had wrecked
Every glory God had planned.

Downcast and fainthearted,
I could not see my goal.
Motivation, once an asset,
No longer played a role.
Excitement for the future
Sadly wore a hole.
Such reaping was all mine,
For all the lives I stole.

I had everything required.
Yet, a heart of greed
Would not be satisfied
With just the basic needs.
And so in my heart sown
Two very different seeds.
One grows the greenest garden.
One, a forest of weeds.

I love my beautiful garden,
Full of life all through.
Digging, and pruning, and keeping,
Growing life anew,
These are joyful things
That I just love to do.
Every few days I give
A worded plant to you.

But my weedy forest,
Just across the way,
Will breach the garden wall
With a vine or branch today.
I must then take some tool,
And ensure weeds don't stay.
It has power to depress me.
I yet must not delay.

Perhaps you, as well, midst
Paradisiacal green,
Find that weeds encroaching
Infringe on heaven's scene.
Your heart, also,
Knowing both kind and mean,
May be weed enshrouded,
But it is no menial thing.
Tis worth the weeding.
Tis the heart of queen or king.

No comments:

Post a Comment